Friday, April 13, 2012

Music - Mozart

Last night I was able to attend a performance of the Mozart Requiem.  I was so happy that some of my students were able to go with me.  We were in the beautiful St. Joseph and Paul church.  There is no way that words can describe what it was like to watch my students respond to this incredible music.  I sat in a row with five girls that came from five different ways of life.  Each one of them were touched by this beauty.  I watched a young lady who barely spoke two words when I first met her that has grown into an outstanding musician.  Tears rolled down her face during the Lacrymosa.  She told me afterwords that she imagined that is what heaven will be like!  Another young lady who has lived a life that most adults couldn't handle, who I have watched music soften her heart and open her soul, wiped tears from her eyes during the powerful first movement.  The young lady next to me held my hand while I cried tears of joy.  I told them they had to keep singing the rest of their lives.  Their response was how could we not?  This is why I teach.  Not contest scores, or test scores or approval of others.  I teach to see that moment when music changes a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment